
It tends to be the case that, after a time, most artists find a size of canvas that they are comfortable with and thereafter the bulk of their work will be to that size. When I started painting about 15 years ago I nearly always worked at 10 x 14 inches. Gradually I've found myself painting larger pictures and now use 16 x 20 inches for nearly all of my landscapes...but every now and again......
I've had this canvas hanging around for about 3 years. Because of it's size it's been stored under the bed, but I knew it was there. All 30 x 40 inches of it!
So how to approach it?
I decided the easiest way was to repaint a 16 x 20 picture that I felt had worked well enough to be scaled up. This made things rather easier and I could have a degree of confidence about it that would not otherwise have been there.
It took about a week to paint. It really is a case of just using larger brushes at the start. There were not really any problems and it compares well enough to the smaller version. Of course the distance that the picture needs to be viewed at is such that I have to open a door a stand halfway up the stairs to get far enough away from it, but I could do with the exercise.
Shall I paint any more large pictures...perhaps...we'll have to wait and see.
1 comment:
Oh my goodness, your painting is magnificent! Just stunning! I love the large size and scope of the work. Truly beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing it with us!
Blessings~Sharon
Post a Comment