(1).jpg)
I don't paint outside very much. I am, by my own, admission what is generally termed a 'studio artist'. This strikes many people as odd because I paint nothing but landscapes but you see, despite all the years that I've been painting, I still don't have much confidence about it. I can still see all the faults and the idea of people watching me while I actually make them is not very inspiring... so I stay indoors. But then... every now and again, I feel the need to get out there and give it another try.
So over the last few weeks I've acquired all the bits and bobs that I needed to launch myself out into the world. New paints, some small canvases, etc - this put it off by at least two weeks! Then I had to find somewhere; ideally not far away, but quiet... another week or so! But finally, this morning dawned and off I set. I had my easel - nice but heavy, with a drawer into which went the paints, brushes, canvas, end of a toilet roll, double dibber (look it up), bounty bar, mars bar... I think that was all. I slung my little tripod stool thing over one shoulder and a tramping I did go.
I got through town without mishap; found the public footpath and went 'off road' up a hill, through a wood and emerged into a very large open area. I think it must have been formal parkland at some time in the past. It has a lot of reasonable sized oak trees; there are sometimes sheep grazing and down towards one end of it: my target. Two oaks trees with a large rusting oil tank between them - rural but with a touch of human intervention... perfect!
I started painting. It was cool and breezy but pleasant enough and to my relief I got through the first hour without seeing anyone. Somebody eventually passed by with a nod and a 'morning'. Later a dog walker who kept going and then another who stopped for a chat. A small lady, perhaps in her 70's, with a Labrador. I had met her before when out looking for somewhere to paint and she remembered me. She told me that the tank had been put there many years earlier by a pig farmer as there was no water up there at the time. The pigs have long since gone.
And then I was left to myself again. The painting came along rather well I thought. The weather remained coolish and a bit windy but I was enjoying it. Perhaps, I thought, this painting outside lark is not so bad after all. Finally after a couple of hours I'd just about got there. A reasonable little sketch sat before me. Should I do any more? I thought about it... distance was needed. I stepped back... two feet... six feet... ten feet... it actually looked quite good!
And then - from nowhere - a gust of wind! The easel pitched forward and like some ancient catapult, fired it's contents! Paints, brushes, toilet roll end, mars bar - all into the air! A tube of titanium white almost took an eye out! The canvas detached itself from the easel and turned gently once, twice, and then came to rest with a 'flup' into the long grass... butter side down!
I decided it was time to go home.
The canvas survived surprisingly well although a considerable part of the sky remained in the grass and now I have grass in the sky...
Shall I venture out again?
I think I will!
4 comments:
Yay, glad you enjoyed yourself, and the sketch looks great. These things are often less strssful than you think they're going to be (or so I hear, lol). Sorry about the grass, but sure it'll pick off.
Oh, I didn't want that to end... was really caught up in the moment. Lovely piece of writing; very descriptive... I was right there with you!
Oh yes, Bailey enjoyed saying hello, but asks if he can have a nibble of your Mars bar next time! Oh, and I'm 50, not 70!!
Lovely picture too.. you should venture out more often!
why does the critical thing always land butter side down?! i do find it odd that you aren't more confident about your painting. i could understand it better if you were very average but your work really is lovely.
Thanks all, life seems butter side down sometimes!
Sian, you're right, is was less stressful than I expected.
Cham, please ask Bailey not to do that against the side of the easel!
Maisy, Perhaps in time my view will change and thanks for your support.
Post a Comment