Now I have to say that I'd never really contemplated the idea of painting in series. This may be in part because I hadn't until recently found a suitable subject. But in January of this year I moved to Henley-On-Thames - a place with no shortage of interest for a landscape painter - and on my walks along the Thames tow path, I gradually found myself taking a liking to a particular stand of trees. They stand some ten metres from the river, just the other side of a small fence, in an area of traditional meadow. Perhaps because of their relative isolation it is easier to pick out the changes that they undergo as the sun moves around them. I eventually settled on two of the trees which, from the angle that I have painted them, makes it almost appear to be a single specimen. I've done 3 pictures so far and expect to expand this over the next couple of months to six and then perhaps nine. I am finding it interesting to paint the same basic scene over and over; the more that I do so, the more able I am to concentrate on the differences that occur and I suspect that the pictures may become more subtle as I go along. My abilities as an artist are limited and this is a new challenge but if I wish to understand and progress I need to push myself in new ways. I've included the three that I've done so far here; as usual please feel free to ask any questions...
Sunday, 12 July 2009
Landscape series painting
Now I have to say that I'd never really contemplated the idea of painting in series. This may be in part because I hadn't until recently found a suitable subject. But in January of this year I moved to Henley-On-Thames - a place with no shortage of interest for a landscape painter - and on my walks along the Thames tow path, I gradually found myself taking a liking to a particular stand of trees. They stand some ten metres from the river, just the other side of a small fence, in an area of traditional meadow. Perhaps because of their relative isolation it is easier to pick out the changes that they undergo as the sun moves around them. I eventually settled on two of the trees which, from the angle that I have painted them, makes it almost appear to be a single specimen. I've done 3 pictures so far and expect to expand this over the next couple of months to six and then perhaps nine. I am finding it interesting to paint the same basic scene over and over; the more that I do so, the more able I am to concentrate on the differences that occur and I suspect that the pictures may become more subtle as I go along. My abilities as an artist are limited and this is a new challenge but if I wish to understand and progress I need to push myself in new ways. I've included the three that I've done so far here; as usual please feel free to ask any questions...
Labels:
art,
impressionism,
landscape,
oil painting,
picture,
trees
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
now you've really made me look at the tree, whereas when i saw these paintings on your flickr, i was drawn to the different skies...
Thanks for saying so, I hope that my work encourages people to look at the world around them.
Your abilities as an artist are UNlimited! Never forget that. ;) I enjoyed reading this, both for it's history and the beautiful paintings. I'm not a landscape painter, but I have this wonderful view out in the country where I live, of so many trees. I am always contemplating whether I could paint them. I should at least take my own advice, and try. :)
Post a Comment